Our Limerick Hotel History
Welcome to Deebert House Hotel, a contemporary Hotel in Kilmallock steeped in history.
Our Hotel has been developed on the site of the Deebert House Mill which dates back to the 1800’s, however there is evidence to suggest that a mill occupied this site as early as the 1600’s. Mannix Joyce’s book “The History of Kilmallock” lists Mr James Creed as the owner of the Mill at Deebert in 1807 and his ownership is evident in the crest which we have retained over our entrance gate today. The Mill changed ownership a number of times and in 1850 was recorded in the book “Millers and the Mills of ” by William E. Hogg as being in the ownership of Mr John Crea. At that time the Mill was valued as being worth £82.10 having gained £15 for providing waterpower to the surrounding area.
The Mill changed hands once again in 1907 when it was purchased by the Cleeve family, the famous Limerick City toffee manufacturers, from Mr. John Hallinan. The Cleeves turned the Mill into a creamery which they operated until they sold it to Kilmallock Co-Operative Society in 1929. In 1984 the mill wheel was buried on the grounds of Deebert House where it remains today as a protected structure.